Why not buy yarns on the internet? There are beautiful, unique products at your fingertips. This post shares the best yarn companies, craft stores, and how to buy yarn online. Get my suggestions for a yarn shop!
My Quick Recommendations
- The Best For Most People – Crochet.com
- Best Luxury Yarns – Jimmy Beans Wool
- Best Budget Yarns – Lion Brand
I reviewed, fact checked and updated this post on June 3, 2023.
Table Of Contents
- Best Online Stores For Yarns
- We Crochet
- Jimmy Beans Wool
- Knit Picks
- Lion Brand Yarn
- Other Places To Try
- How Do You Shop For Yarn?
- Which Is The Best Yarn To Buy?
Best Online Stores For Yarns
Crochet.com: Online Yarn For Crochet
Here is a list of yarn retailers to choose from. These websites make buying yarns easy.
It’s finally here! An online yarn store for crocheters! They have a lot to choose from, like yarn weights and all that. You can get superfine yarns to jumbo yarns. Speciality yarns – Merino sock, organic cotton, merino superwash and baby alpaca are some of the many fibers on offer. Crochet or knitting yarns. (Their sister company is Knit Picks.)
- Good shipping rates on their knitting and crochet yarn
- They sell products at affordable prices and have discount varieties
- Quick shipping
- Lively community
- Has excellent self-striping yarn and luxury yarn at a discounted price
- Shares exceptional crochet pics on their social platform
- Big selection of yarn and color palettes for your next project, even things for amigurumi and a shawl
- Sometimes they have coupons
- They only ship to the United States, Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom
- Ensure you purchase all the yarn you need for a project at once, as most of their yarns have a dye lot
Jimmy Beans Wool: For Fiber Enthusiasts & A Luxury Project
Jimmy Beans Wool was started by Laura Zander and her husband in 2002. The name came from when they ran a coffee shop. Their products are innovative, and they have a lot of brands including Noro Silk Garden. There are lots to choose from, from wool, silk, cheaper acrylic to luxury cashmere. Plant fibers like cotton and bamboo blends also. They sell a range of tools and if you’re a knitter you can find addi flexi flips needles which are excellent for socks.
- Family-owned business with attention to details
- Knitters, crocheters & makers everywhere love it
- A community that’s friendly
- Great stuff, like knitting needles, yarn for crochet, and crochet hooks
- Their products have easy-to-read labels
- Find knitting yarn with personality for your next pattern project
- $5 flat rate shipping within the US.
- Orders over $75 get free shipping in the US
- The return policy is good
- Website is easy to use
- Large selection of crochet and knitting wool at this great place!
- Lots of complementary patterns to get an idea on what to make next
- Expensive international shipping
LoveCrafts – Yarns In Gorgeous Colors
You can purchase yarns, but you can also find fabulous craft inspiration and patterns for both knitting & crochet. Lots of familiar favorites and exclusive brands and yarn lines like Valley Yarns, Manos Del Uruguay, Berroco, and Debbie Bliss. A little of everything in their yarn selection for buying yarn online. Excellent quality thick yarns perfect for blankets. (Formerly called Love Knitting.)
- Knitting patterns, books, and ideas
- Products made by knitters around the world
- Filter your search by fiber, weight, color
- Different price ranges on things like merino, bamboo, and top rated sock yarn.
- Returns are fair
- Easy to order
- Ships internationally
- Navigating is easy
- Good price range
- They have many sale events throughout the year
- Large and active community for any crafting passion
- 5 star rating by happy customers
- Shipping is expensive
- The color on the picture might not match the real thing
Knit Picks – Online Knitting Yarn Store
KnitPicks is one of the best yarn stores I’ve found. I like its selection and quality. You can filter by yarn weight, color, fiber, and more. Their sale price offerings are worth looking out for and have multiple sales throughout the year.
They’ve developed yarns for specific things. Yarn shopping has never been easier! Dishie Yarn (a worsted weight yarn) for dishcloths and Fable Fur is ethical faux fur. They have an excellent customer service team, and there are many tips in the Learning Center.
- They’re based in the US and use USA and Canadian yarn
- Sourcing that’s ethical
- Great email list for their customers
- They have a lot of video tutorials on their blog
- Save money with a bundle pack of yarn
- Over $75, get free shipping fees
- Returns are easy
- Textiles, like wool yarn and cotton yarn, are of good quality
- For a designer, they sell undyed yarn
- Knitters of all kinds love it
- Worth following on social media
- It’s easy to navigate with the filters and categories
- Lots of fun patterns from independent designers
- Discount codes and promo codes are often available
- They have great knitting tools, like the knit picks short interchangeable needles
- If you need info, expect a quick reply from their support team
- Colors in the photos aren’t exactly accurate
- Be a member to buy
- There’s no live chat
- They only sell exclusive brand yarns
Lion Brand Yarn – Excellent Range of Yarns
Since 1878, family-run and owned. Run by the fifth generation, they went digital in 1998. They release lovely yarn products every year. They’re experts at what they do and have yarn in every category, kits, knitting and crochet patterns, and knitting notions. They’re all about positive social change.
- A great selection of yarns and weights, like Mandala Yarn and A Touch Of Alpaca
- Lots of free patterns for yourself and the people in your life
- The project guidelines in their patterns are easy to understand
- I love the variety of products for beginners and skilled crafters
- It’s great for finding gifts on sale for holidays and birthdays
- Their social channels and emails are great too
- Shipping worldwide, including Germany and France
- Fair prices on fibers for everyone and all crafts
- This site has a great return policy
- The types of items in the range are amazing
- Easy to access their coupons, offers and regular clearance sales
- One of those yarn stores that only sells their brand
- There’s no free shipping
- Sign up for an account and download your chosen pattern
E-commerce giant Amazon has everything you could want. You can opt for bulk purchases here. Discounts for buying ten or more of the same yarn. (Like Bernat Blanket Yarn for a throw.) This is great for large projects. Discover brands offering all sorts of new colors for your next project. However, choose wholesale from the seller or a department store.
Here are some yarns I recommend for knitting and crochet projects.
- For Baby Blankets – Bernat Baby Blanket Big Ball
- For General Projects – Red Heart Super Saver
- For Socks – Schoppel Zauberball
Clicking on the links takes you to Amazon for more information, current prices, and customer reviews.
- There are a lot of sellers and products, including some of the best yarns for arm knitting.
- They sell a lot of knitting stuff
- Easily browse though the selections and deals to see what you can find
- Take advantage of the discounts and free shipping if you’re an amazon prime member
- The best place to get baby blanket yarn
- If you’re familiar with the website, it’s easy to use
- All your online shopping in one place
- Yarns from well-known retailers and a great color selection
- Easy navigation
- There’s always something offering a great deal
- Colors aren’t always accurate
- If you live outside the US, some yarns don’t ship
Other Places To Try
- Etsy – A wide selection of hand-dyed yarn. Lose yourself in the beautiful colorways and the variety of yarns at low prices!
- Furls Crochet – The majority of their focus is on crochet hooks and other fiber arts items but they have a lovely yarn line called Wander
- Eat Sleep Knit – A beautiful array of hand-dyed yarns and notions
- Fabulous Yarn – A yarn store that sells beautiful, handcrafted yarn balls for your yarn stash. It’s a small, independent yarn company with a local yarn shop in New York
- Hobbii – A European-based store located in Denmark with hard-to-find skeins and recoginzable favorites
- Knitting Warehouse – This craft store has great discount and speciality yarn
- Purl Soho – An online and brick-and-mortar business. There you’ll find a collection of handcrafted options for knitting supplies and yarn!
- Yarnspirations – Featuring popular yarn brands like Patons and Lily Sugar N Cream, Bernat and Caron, and Red Heart, plus many other yarn options
- WEBS Yarn – A subsidary of LoveCrafts focusing on American speciality yarns. They sell notions like spinning wheels, bags and yarn needles too
- Big Box Stores like Joann, Michaels, Walmart & Hobby Lobby – they have yarns at a low cost
How Do You Shop For Yarns?
Here’s a quick list of steps in the process:
- Browse yarn shops to find one you like
- Check out the tips below to choose the right yarn
- Add it to your cart and use the search filter to shop around for other things you need
- Checkout and pay for your order
- Make the shipping arrangement
- Let’s celebrate! Your order is on its way!
- Get in touch with customer service if you get stuck
Buying in-person is great, but of course so is buying some things online. (Sign up to their newsletters so you get a percentage of the pricing of your first order. You’ll also get notified of the latest bargains they’re offering!)
Which Is The Best Fiber To Buy?
A checklist of what to keep in mind when looking for the perfect yarn.
- What kind of fiber?
- What weight?
- Do you need a lot for something like a sweater?
- What colors would you like?
- What kind of yarn?
- Is it machine-washable?
- Is the price reasonable?
- What form do you want (hank, skein, ball, cake?)
- What’s it going to be? (Mittens, scarves, hats, a sweater, or socks?)
Yarn Symbols & Labels: Remember Them!
You need yarn labels. They describe the product. Ex:
- Yarn Weight – From 0 to 7, it tells you how thick it is
- Gauge – Estimate of the recommended knitting gauge
- Sizes Of Needles/Hook Size – Recommended needle and hook sizes
- Yarn Amount – how much yarn you get in one ball
- Care Instructions – How to wash/care for it
Thanks for checking out this list of the best online yarn shops. There are many reasons to shop online and the benefits of doing so are many! Hope it makes your crocheting or knitting life easier. Do you have a favorite online yarn manufacturer or a favorite online store? Or have questions? I’d love to hear what you think. Use your email address to send me a message.
Pin Now to Save for Later